[Nix-dev] Modifying the init system (introducing S6 supervisionsuite)

Michael Raskin 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Sat Dec 27 09:57:09 CET 2014

>I'm afraid I fail to see how S6 is better than systemd, except that the
>author is totally worried about the future of Linux with systemd.

S6 has logging without the unfixable bugs of JournalD

S6 doesn't insist on breaking xinit/startx-like functionality.

S6 doesn't barf if you put your swap into fstab.

SystemD has its unique WONTFIX bugs that no other init system shares
(sometimes not even UseLessD, although it is a minimalistic fork of
SystemD).

For me these bugs are showstoppers. I recently had a task at work that
was _much_ simpler by running 3 identical X servers.

>That said, of course no one can stop you from implementing a module for
>some other init system but be warned that that's hell lot of work.

Well, nix-rehash is something many people need anyway, so SAL will be
done in some way (hopefully shared with NixOS).

The hard part is apparently finding out the exact list of requirements
for SAL after which people won't object to SAL use in NixOS.

Minimal init-less system boot is actually _not_ a lot of work, and
porting services is currently prepared for the reasons of user services…