[Nix-dev] Breaking changes log

Wout Mertens wout.mertens at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 15:10:45 CET 2014

On Fri Dec 19 2014 at 3:02:34 PM Eelco Dolstra <eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com>
wrote:

> On 18/12/14 17:18, Wout Mertens wrote:
>
> > As a summary answer to all the answers, I think we should adopt a change
> log as
> > described at http://keepachangelog.com/
>
> We already have a place to document breaking changes, namely the NixOS
> release
> notes in nixos/doc/manual/release-notes. I'm not in favour of having
> multiple,
> out-of-sync locations to keep this info.

Right, but those are not very human-readable nor is there any attempt to
make them machine-parseable (for displaying diffs from nixos-rebuild and
tests).

So I think it would be nice if we had CHANGELOG.md in the project root and
the release notes section of the manual gets built from that automatically.
That's also a more visible place for them, raising awareness amongst users
and devs alike, win-win.

Wout.