[Nix-dev] Breaking changes log

Hakisho Nukama nukama at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 22:41:19 CET 2014

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Mateusz Kowalczyk
<fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk> wrote:
> On 12/17/2014 01:55 PM, Wout Mertens wrote:
>> Nice though it seems a bit complex. Not sure if it's over-engineered or
>> just what's needed.
>>
>> Also interesting:
>> *"There have been complaints regarding the comprehensibility of some
>> upgrade notices and news items in the past. This is understandable — not
>> every Gentoo developer speaks English as a first language. However, for the
>> sake of clarity, professionalism and avoiding making us look like prats, it
>> is important that any language problems be corrected before inflicting a
>> news item upon end users.*
>>
>> *Thus, at least 72 hours before a proposed news item is committed, it must
>> be posted to the gentoo-dev mailing list and Cc:ed to pr at gentoo.org
>> <pr at gentoo.org> (exceptions may be made in exceptional circumstances). Any
>> complaints — for example regarding wording, clarity or accuracy — must be
>> addressed before the news item goes live."*
>>
>> <shudder>
>>
>> Wout.
>>

> This is just administrative mongering, no need to adopt it fully. I
> agree that either some kind of news system should be in place: currently
> I think the only thing we have going is putting ‘trace’ somewhere and
> hoping the user catches it.
>
> In any case, I think calling it ‘news’ is misled: in Gentoo news are
> used for longer term things, say distro moving off from Ruby 1.x for
> it's default or whatever. But maybe that's what OP wants.
>
> Personally I want to be able to emit a message from a package such as
> ‘XYZ flags have changed, you need to do such and such thing’ or ‘extra
> user interaction is needed to get this package to work, put this thing
> in such and such directory under $HOME’. Gentoo's portage does this,
> such things print during the package build (not always applicable) and
> at the end of the builds. I can see multiple problems here in that
> unlike with Gentoo, we often fetch multiple different versions of same
> software as various dependencies, the user is rarely directly using it
> all. I don't know how to deal with this properly. Maybe it's just a bad
> idea for nix.

Maybe add all notable changes into a 'release-notes' [0]
for the unstable branch.
And merge unstable-entries that have not been nullified at release time
into the release-notes of the upcoming release.

[0] https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/nixos/doc/manual/release-notes/rl-unstable.xml

Best Regards,
Hakisho Nukama

P.S.: 'm not aware, if this is a top or bottom posting list, now I'm
in between. ;)