[Nix-dev] gnuradio-osmosdr and gnuradio-companion

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 09:26:25 CET 2014

Hi Jeremy,

(Copying nix-dev list for reference.)

On 16 December 2014 at 08:30, Jeremy Shaw <jeremy at n-heptane.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have installed gnuradio-osmosdr from nixpkgs. The standalone tools like
> osmocom_fft work fine. But if I fire up gnuradio-companion and load a
> configuration that uses osmosdr it says:

> Am I doing something wrong? I think that the gnuradio-companion needs to
> extend the PYTHONPATH and possible LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that it can find the
> osmsosdr plugin?

gnuradio-companion does not (yet) automatically see other blocks.

Here's what I've done:

$ cat .gnuradio/config.conf
# ~/.gnuradio/config.conf
#
# Can also use GRC_BLOCKS_PATH environment variable (use ':' as separator)

[grc]
local_blocks_path=/home/bfo/.nix-profile/share/gnuradio/grc/blocks/

I believe I picked that up from here:
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/GNURadioCompanion#Installing-the-XML-Block-Definition

IMHO, it'd be nice to wrap gnuradio-companion with GRC_BLOCKS_PATH so
that it automatically sees blocks installed in system profile, default
profile and (current) user's profile (i.e. iterate over
$NIX_PROFILES).

Best regards,
Bjørn Forsman