[Nix-dev] gcc vs gfortran

Andreas Herrmann andreash87 at gmx.ch
Wed Dec 10 12:07:52 CET 2014

Hi,

I was just looking into gfortran and noticed that I don't quite understand that package.

gfortran48 is defined as an override of gcc48 with the following arguments:

    langFortran = true;
    langCC = false;
    langC = false;

To me this suggests that the package gfortran comes with a Fortran compiler, but does not offer a C, or a C++ compiler. But, if I look at the built derivation I find that there are programs cc, cpp, gcc, and g++ alongside f77, and gfortran. Is that intentional, and if so why?

The reason why I'm asking is this:

I would like to use nix to install programs for people to use outside of nix. E.g.

    nix-build -A nixpkgs.gcc48 '<nixpkgs>' -o /global/path/gcc48

People can then add /global/path/gcc48/bin to their path and use gcc.

However, since there is overlap between the gcc and gfortran packages this could be problematic if people want to use both.

Best, Andreas