[Nix-dev] cache.nixos.org retention

Richard Wallace rwallace at thewallacepack.net
Tue Dec 9 23:47:51 CET 2014

Hey all,

I'm just wondering what the retention policy is on cache.nixos.org.  I just
went to build a project on a new OS X machine that is using a nixpkgs from
a few weeks ago.  I was surprised to see that many basic packages like
zlib, gnu tools, perl and a bevy of others weren't fetched from the cache
but were built from scratch.

My best guess as to why is that it's because maybe the retention policy on
cache.nixos.org is less than I thought.  If there is another explanation I
would love to hear it, otherwise I may be needing to set up a proxy for
these situations.

Thanks,
Rich