[Nix-dev] avahi/firewall issue in master branch?

Thomas Tuegel ttuegel at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 20:24:57 CET 2014

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Bjørn Forsman <bjorn.forsman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since updating to master branch a few days ago, I can no longer reach
> my NixOS machines with <machine>.local hostnames.
>
> Or to be precise, the machines only see themselves and not the other
> machines on the network. So machine1 sees machine1.local, but not
> machine2.local and vice versa.
>
> I compared avahi logs from a while back, and they look the same, as
> far as I can tell. I'm not a firewall expert, but the output of
> "iptables -L" looks OK.
>
> Does anyone else see this? What might be the cause?
>
> Best regards,
> Bjørn Forsman

For some time now, avahi has not started for me at boot. I have to
start it manually with "systemctl start avahi-daemon." You say you
compared the logs, so probably this is not the problem in your case,
but I thought I would offer it. It has happened to me many times that
I did not read timestamps carefully when comparing logs :-)

--
Thomas Tuegel