[Nix-dev] [***SPAM***] when to use $out/nix-support

Michael Raskin 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Sat Dec 6 17:09:25 CET 2014

>I have question about Nix proper, independent of Nixpkgs or NixOS.
>
>What kinds of attributes are appropriate as passthrough attributes on
>a derivation set,
>and which attributes are appropriate to be written out to the store in
>a nix-support file?

Neither of these concepts exists outside of Nixpkgs stdenv.

Nix doesn't care; stdenv defines these concepts and their use is also
a question of Nixpkgs convention.

>Is this just for the sake of registering dependencies, or is there more to it?

I think these are to allow access to some specific data to reverse-
dependencies. It often happens that no nicer way is there, so these ways
of data passing are used.