[Nix-dev] Is anyone using Julia with PyPlot?

Andreas Herrmann andreash87 at gmx.ch
Mon Dec 1 18:08:13 CET 2014

> Personally, I use Julia wrong (general purpose data crunching, little
> enough plotting to just use gnuplot).

Nothing wrong with that. ;)

> I currently lack time for learning it, but I guess I could do some quick
> strace-ing if given a step-by step instruction (doing X expected Y
> observed Z).

Thank you, I appreciate that. I don't know what to expect down to the syscall level. But, I can give steps and expectations on the user-interaction level. However, these are my expectations after reading the PyPlot readme file, and according to my memory of how it used to work about half a year ago outside of Nix. Unfortunately, the opensuse package for Julia seems to be broken, so I cannot easily test another Julia installation outside of Nix. (I'm running Nix on openSUSE 13.1 64bit)

So, here it goes: Take the file `default.nix` listed below, and start a nix-shell with it. In that nix-shell execute

sh$ julia
julia> Pkg.add("PyPlot")
julia> using PyPlot
julia> pygui(:qt); using PyPlot
julia> plt.isinteractive()  # Should print true
julia> plt.plot([1,2,3], [1,2,4])
julia> plt.show()  # Should show a gui window with a line-plot.

``` default.nix

{ nixpkgs ? <nixpkgs>
, system ? builtins.currentSystem }:

with (import nixpkgs { inherit system; });
let py = pkgs.pythonPackages; in

stdenv.mkDerivation {
  name = "dummy";
  src = ./empty;
  buildInputs = with py; [
    stdenv python readline ipython julia pyqt4 matplotlib
  ];
}

```

Best, Andreas