[Nix-dev] NixOps, managing virtual hardware and network

Sergey Mironov grrwlf at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 13:13:07 CET 2014

Hi, Wout!

> yup, NixOps fits the bill, but I'm not sure what you mean with being bound
> to the host's physical adapter.
> When you deploy virtualboxes with NixOps it gives the VM 2 interfaces: One
> host-local and one on vboxnet0. If you want a different setup you'll have to
> tweak nixops here:
> https://github.com/NixOS/nixops/blob/41cf9ed862c13a4171c77e3494f9b7ca59a8adc0/nixops/backends/virtualbox.py#L363-L369
>
> (if you do, make it configurable and send a PR please :-) )

Great! I've tested the NixOps and I think I'll take it:) By bounding I
mean that VM should control one of my Host's interfaces, not just hide
behind NAT. Currently, my Host machine has 4 unused network adapters
installed, so I will be able to create up to 4 VMs featuring this
option. I hope it is possible to do using VBoxManage.

After deploying trivial-vbox-based setup I really found a VM with 2
interfaces: one connected to Hosts's vboxnet0, and another, set to IP
of 10.0.2.15. It's not clear for me yet how to access it.

> As for specifying configuration of host and vboxen in one go, NixOps doesn't
> do that. It only runs virtualboxes on localhost.
> You can write a systemd service that starts the nixops network if you
> like...

OK, I think I'll go with just a set of virtualboxes for now.

Thanks a lot,
Sergey