[Nix-dev] Policy for updates in 14.04 (was: Keeping nixpkgs up to date)

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viric at viric.name
Sun Aug 31 18:04:50 CEST 2014

Almost any software update will contain a bunch of bugfixes and only sometimes new
features.

And for lots of nixpkgs software, having the update in master, doesn't guarantee
that it is much tested once it becomes stable.

I'd prefer to have a less strict rule about updating the stable branch, and act
based on problems arisen. I'd avoid to set too strict rules before the problems
arise, otherwise the discussion becomes ethereal.

Depending on the strictness, few are going to use the stable branch. For me, I
choose more the stable branch for much less rebuilds. No mesa updates, no X
updates, no qt updates, no gtk udpates, etc...

Regards,
Lluís.