[Nix-dev] Keeping nixpkgs up to date

Daniel Bergey bergey at alum.mit.edu
Fri Aug 29 16:31:55 CEST 2014

On 2014-08-29 at 09:59, Mateusz Kowalczyk <fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk> wrote:
> On 08/29/2014 10:04 AM, Vladimír Čunát wrote:
>> Also, the commitment of being maintainer of a group of packages seems
>> significantly larger than for a single package.  The change may rather
>> dissuade people from becoming a maintainer at all, as they may be only
>> interested in a few particular packages and not e.g. in all games we have.
>
> Actually I think people are much more inclined to sit down and spend a
> few minutes sometimes updating a package or two from their group rather
> than putting their own name down specifically on a package and then
> having the sole burden of updating it themselves. I also think it makes
> people feel ‘I'm in a group of people doing similar so I can always seek
> help from them’ as opposed to ‘I'm on my own to figure it out when this
> breaks’.

I like the idea of maintainer groups alongside individual maintainers.
The familiar downside of group responsibility is that everyone may
assume that someone else is handling a particular task.  I expect
listing an individual alongside the group helps in those cases.  Eg, I
would keep listing myself for packages I maintain upstream.

Anything that groups packages so it's easier to distinguish "failures
and PRs that I might be able to help with" from "I have no clue what
that is or how to build it" is good by me.  In that vein, I appreciate
all the recent links to Hydra status pages for Haskell packages.

bergey