[Nix-dev] Keeping nixpkgs up to date

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 11:04:46 CEST 2014

On 08/27/2014 04:35 PM, Mateusz Kowalczyk wrote:
> What do you think? I think something like this is inevitable with the
> ever-growing number of packages and users or we end up with the
> situation like we have today, with thousands of outdated packages
> without maintainers or with inactive/busy maintainers listed.

I think the main problem is that the total amount of energy spent on
maintaining packages is low, and I don't see how the grouping will help it.

Also, the commitment of being maintainer of a group of packages seems
significantly larger than for a single package.  The change may rather
dissuade people from becoming a maintainer at all, as they may be only
interested in a few particular packages and not e.g. in all games we have.

Vladimir