[Nix-dev] libreoffice build fails without chroot

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Tue Aug 26 18:32:04 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I recently built my systems locally using nixpkgs release
2bc609155d31d214b21a509956504a83d184502b

I did some stdenv tweaking so everything built from scratch.
All was fine, except for libreoffice. I expected my local changes to be
the problem at first, but after some investigation got it to build when
turning on chroot-building.

Unfortunately, I don't have the exact error message anymore, but it was
related to running tests that wanted to write to /var/empty, which was
disallowed in non-chroot.

This probably got introduced with libreoffice 4.3, as I've never run
into it on 14.04 (which has libreoffice 4.0.5).

Regards,
Mathijs