[Nix-dev] NixOps targeting machines that only have Nix (not NixOS) on them?

Daniel Peebles pumpkingod at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 06:01:58 CEST 2014

I'm an extreme newbie, so apologies if this is already possible, but I
couldn't find anything about it in the manual.

Currently NixOps seems heavily geared (or designed around?) administering
NIxOS boxes, which it's great at, but I need to deal with other OSes too.

To support this, it seems like NixOps could have sort of a "hierarchy" of
powers:
- It knows your hosting provider (ec2, hetzner) and can spin up instances,
etc.
- It has ssh access to NixOS, so it can change your system configuration
(the "none" targetEnv type) and packages
- It has ssh access to a machine with Nix on it, so it can install/remove
packages and could get OS-specific hooks for starting/stopping services.
Not sure how config would be managed...

Has stuff like this been discussed before? Is the config/service question
too big of a blocker? I sure would love to be able to administer OSX and/or
Windows boxes this way...

Thanks,
Dan