[Nix-dev] systemd in initrd

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 17:54:01 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 5:46 PM, Alexander Kjeldaas
<ak at formalprivacy.com> wrote:
> How will actually building the initrd be improved?  I feel that the
> dependency resolution is only half of the problem. Things like this is the
> other half - manual copying of libraries and binaries to minimize initrd
> size:
>
> https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/nixos/modules/system/boot/luksroot.nix#L408

Note that this is independent of the problem reported here, in fact,
if we want to solve this the proper way we should probably change that
at the package level (by providing multiple outputs), to strip what is
not needed for executing the commands.

> For my use I don't care whether initrd is large, but making systemd services
> "portable" to initrd by copying their closures will probably affect initrd
> size a lot more than systemd itself.

As Eelco mentioned, the idea would be to have a different set of jobs
for the initrd.

--
Nicolas Pierron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron - http://nbp.name/