[Nix-dev] Haskell build failures

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Thu Aug 21 09:53:19 CEST 2014

On 08/21/2014 07:14 AM, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> Thanks! So can I have a list of broken package sorted by Hackage
> dependencies, so I know which packages are used the most?
> Sounds like there is still work to be done.
>
> Aloha,
>
> RK.
>

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 3:19 PM, Mateusz Kowalczyk <fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On 08/21/2014 05:46 AM, Raahul Kumar wrote:
>>> How? Amazing well done! But seriously how was this achieved?

>> It was achieved by marking broken things as broken so that they don't
>> come up as failures on Hydra all the time. Once the package is fixed
>> (upstream or otherwise) it can be built again and we have an extra
>> package building.
>>
>> The approach of marking stuff as broken allows one to see much better
>> which packages actually change build status. Users also get a message if
>> they try to compile a package marked as broken rather than have them try
>> to compile and fail which was horrible user experience.
>>
>> --
>> Mateusz K.

I don't have such a list but you can grep for ‘broken = true;’ in
pkgs/development/{libraries,tools}/haskell/*/*.nix. Often the commit
marking it as broken will refer to open upstream issue.

Yes, there is work to be done which is to now try to get the broken
packages into a non-broken state. Oftentimes this involves filing issues
with upstream and waiting.

--
Mateusz K.