[Nix-dev] DevOps sprint at gocept/FlyingCircus

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Mon Aug 18 16:27:59 CEST 2014

Hi!

I have been lurking here on the list for a while but haven’t said much (if anything) yet. I’ve been looking at and toying with Nix(OS) and it appears like a really nice way forward for our hosting platform for which we currently leverage Gentoo plus a lot of custom code.

It’s funny that our own tools (which don’t shine as much as Nix as they’re basically well-made band-aids) use similar wording in some situations as Nix does (e.g. “rebuild the world”).

We’re still in a very early phase of getting involved with Nix and we definitely have some work to do to understand how stuff that we do would fit into the NixOS world. Also, we’d be highly interested getting a nice security patch story - we’ve been happy with the GLSA approach, but staffing and making the workflow/tools reliable and smooth is a big issue there, too.

Anyway, if any of you guys would be interested to come together for more hacking after Ljubljana then we’d be happy to have you around at gocept later in September [1]. We’re sponsoring space, internet,
food, and drinks. Only accomodation and travel is up to you. We’ll also have a big party.

There will be more open-source people from various projects around but I personally would love to spend time on Nix(OS) and maybe learn _and_ contribute something.

Anyway: awesome project, hope to get involved more in the near future. :)

Cheers and maybe see some of you in September,
Christian

[1] http://blog.gocept.com/2014/08/07/sommerfest-bei-gocept-samstag-20-september-2014-ab-16-uhr/

--
Christian Theune · gocept gmbh & co. kg
flyingcircus.io · operations as a service