[Nix-dev] Nixpkgs testing - Re: Sprint topics

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Sat Aug 16 08:09:48 CEST 2014

Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net> writes:
> Hi,
>
> in preparation for the sprint, please add your topics to the titanpad:
>
> https://titanpad.com/7yn7iBQ6n2
>
> For discussion it might be nice to have one reply per topic to this
> email.

We have per-package tests during checkPhase and installCheckPhase, and
NixOS tests using qemu. Eelco Dolstra suggested [tests for
nixpkgs](http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.nixos/13465/focus=13469).

To test (python-packaging) in nixpkgs, I propose
[nixtest](https://github.com/chaoflow/nixtest/blob/master/nixtest.py#L94),
and test library and [tests in
nixpkgs](https://github.com/chaoflow/nixpkgs/tree/python/tests), would
like to discuss with you and possibly develop further.

Key features:

- Rerun failed tests from command line as your user, i.e. not via
  nix-build. This greatly eases debugging, not to speak of making it
  actually fun. The [nixpkgs testing
  lib](https://github.com/chaoflow/nixpkgs/blob/python/tests/lib/default.nix#L120)
  creates a wrapper that creates and runs the test environment.

- Python as test language.

- [plumbum](http://plumbum.readthedocs.org/en/latest/index.html#user-guide)
  to construct cli calls.

- [click](http://click.pocoo.org/) for a powerful cli of the test runner
  itself

- Use [ipdb](https://github.com/gotcha/ipdb) to debug your tests, a
  debugger based on [ipython](http://ipython.org/) featuring tab
  completion among many other nice things

Missing:

- log messages in xml format suitable for hydra, currently only logged
  to stdout via python's logging library.

- hydra jobset (within nixpkgs release.nix)

--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC