[Nix-dev] NixOS on MacBook dual boot

Paul Colomiets paul at colomiets.name
Thu Aug 14 12:15:44 CEST 2014

Hi Alexey,

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 11:28 AM, Alexey Muranov
<alexey.muranov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Paul,
>
> everything seems to work fine with my dual boot, except that Gummiboot does not offer any menu and boots directly into NixOS.  So i have to either use the Option-key boot menu or to install rEFInd boot manager.
>
> If i start Gummiboot from rEFInd, i get at least a Gummiboot text screen telling that it is loading something.  If i start Gummiboot holdong Option key, i just get a delay during which the screen stays in graphical mode, and then NixOS starts booting.  Would you have any idea by any chance how to configure Gummiboot to choose between NixOS and OS X?  Or maybe there is a blog post you know about this?  This is not very important, i am just curious.

To see menu always you need to set timeout in /boot/loader/loader.conf
(by default its zero, and you need to press something to see it). To
add OS X to the menu you may need to add some file to
/boot/loader/entries/something.conf. I think there should be sample in
gummiboot installation somewhere. (I'm not on nixos/efi machine right
now, so can't look). Also it seems if you press "a" in boot menu the
mac os x should be booted (not sure you need an entry for that or
not).

--
Paul