[Nix-dev] Wiki spam

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon Sep 30 20:58:41 CEST 2013

Excerpts from Philip Lykke Carlsen's message of Mon Sep 30 20:38:09 +0200 2013:
> If it was common practise for wikis to require user registrations lay a money
> deposit as security for constructive behaviour the problem would go away
> overnight.
Sure. but can't we try a less intrusive non standard way first? Such as:

if create user page / edit page is requested test for our own cookie.

  If cookie does not exist:
    redirect to custom password protection page, if simple password gets
    typed right, set cookie, redirect to previous page (also passing GET/POST
    vars)

  If cookie does exists:
    behave normally?

then at least we'll know whether we get spammed by bots or humans.
Humans will suceed. Bots should fail, because they were programmed to
spawn standarrd media wikis only.

Such an implementation is  about 20-30 PHP lines or less which can be
added to index.php ? Just tell me "do it" and I'll provide that code.
We have somebody who is willing to delete the spam, what else do we
need to win this situation?

Marc Weber