[Nix-dev] Wiki spam

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon Sep 30 15:12:01 CEST 2013

Eelco: Have a look at vim-wiki.mawercer.de I have not yet had any spam.
and if it happens its as easy as git revert. There is *no* password
protection at all. You just have to use special ?get parameter.
I know the design is not that pretty, its just a hack so that I don't
have to type and talk about the same topics again. Maybe its also much
less popular than nixos.org/wiki ...

I seriously think that bots (or humans?) are specialized on media wiki.
I think the real fix is using non standard wikis or doing anything
non-standard, such as protecting login page by htaccess and dummy password.
Something simple such as 'nixonixo' would probably be enough and more
effective than captchas. If irc knowns about it ..

Me too thinks that its bad to host spam. Additional alternatives such as
github wiki has been discussed. And they are options, too.
You can also access those git repositories easily.

The community is strong enough to handle this. We just have to make a
list of features we want and we must get started.

Some additional discussions took place on this mailinglist earlier.
How much spam does exist? Click the random page 10 times, then you'll
know.

click1: Multi-level Marketing Two Schools Of Believed Collide
click2: Women's Manner Trend Principles To Stay By
click3: Ageing Tips That Can Help You In The Process
click4: Meet The Equipment Shop Manager
click5: Picking out Straightforward Advice For beauty salon insurance

I'm stopping here, you get it, all 5 pages are spam.

I'm protecting against arbitrary spammers by adding a 1x1 px input spam
bots are likely to fill, but humans miss. Thus if such a field is non
empty I can disregard the request.

The wiki is one of the weakest parts of this project.
People spend their time on the libraries, packages and the core instead
mostly.

Marc Weber