[Nix-dev] Mesa-9.2

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 17:40:00 CEST 2013

Oh, using one's own header... that seems ugly, although I don't really
understand this stuff at all :-)

On 09/24/2013 05:22 PM, Baptist BENOIST wrote:
> I am currently working on finding the cleanest way to solve this problem, here are the options I am now considering:
>   - Rely on the OpenGL ES2 specification instead of the full OpenGL one by using "-opengl es2" configure flag and enabling its support in mesa. The ArchLinux maintainer(s) chosed this solution. This seems to have the side effect of requiring OpenGL ES2 to be enabled on the mesa derivation used by X.
>   - Fix the qtopengl.h code by removing the qopenglext.h file and respecting the new OpenGL implementation (the GL_GLEXT_LEGACY has legacy in its name).
>   - Fix the qtopengl.h code by copying the GL/gl.h file into Qt (like what has been done for GL/glext.h).
>
> Currently, I think that the second solution is the one to prefer but I am still searching for potential bad consequences (on other platforms and especially the ones which pushed Qt developers to make such a thing) before investing some time on it.

I think that in general it's safest to get inspiration from how major
distros do this (as I hope their maintainers usually understand these
things better than we do). I quickly looked at debian/ubuntu, and they
also pass "-opengl es2".

Note: the only reason I don't build/install the ES2 lib by default is
that noone seemed to need it. IIRC, it's very small (hundreds of kB) and
brings no other dependencies, so this could be an easy initial choice.
Perhaps we/someone can figure out a better way before qt5 gets much use.

Vlada