[Nix-dev] Clear all

stewart mackenzie setori88 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 18:25:44 CEST 2013

>> Should one use nix-shell to change to this environment?
>
> No, the "myEnvFun" environments create their own scripts for this.
> If you have an environment called foo, you will have a
> ~/.nix-profile/dev-envs/foo file containing most stuff that needs to be
> set.

I'm afraid all I have in my ~/.nix-profile is a manifest.nix and
pkgs/misc/my-env/default.nix just says "# Add this to your
~/.nixpkgs/config.nix"
Which I don't have. Have I configured my system incorrectly?

> I think we are getting things mixed up here :)
> The stuff I mentioned up to now is for creating custom environments,
> which is useful if you need to work with local projects that you have no
> desire to turn into a full nix expression, or at least not yet.
> Or if you have a bunch of similar projects with similar dependencies.
> So a c++ environment with a set of libraries available, a ruby
> environment (specific version) with a set of gems, nodejs with a bunch
> of npms.
> This resembles a typical environment you would have on other systems and
> is very useful for working on local projects (ones you share with
> non-nixos users).

Yes the above is what I want to accomplish first off. By getting a
C++/Mozart environment running.
Then I want to create a nix expression to share mozart2 with the nix community.

First of all I'd like to understand exactly why using nix-env -i <pkg>
is an incorrect approach? Why is it considered dirty?

regards
Stewart