[Nix-dev] Chromium and NVIDIA

Aristid Breitkreuz aristidb at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 13:45:03 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I have a NVidia video card, and use the proprietary NVidia drivers which
work fine most of the time... except that Chromium doesn't detect them.

In chrome://gpu, I see as GL_VENDOR "VMware, Inc.", as GL_RENDERER "Gallium
0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.2, 256 bits)" and as GL_VERSION "2.1 Mesa 9.1.3".
Chromium also disables all acceleration such as for WebGL.

I use Chromium 29, but Chromium 31 also shows the problem.

So my questions would be:

(1) What does chrome://gpu show for you, dear list reader, especially for
NVidia users?
(2) Any ideas what the problem might be? STrace does show that it does open
NVidia's libGL.so as well as the libnvidia-tls.so and libnvidia-glcore.so.
But...

Cheers,

Aristid