[Nix-dev] nix-shell ignores custom configurePhase/buildPhase etc.?

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Mon Sep 16 13:26:48 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 15/09/13 14:30, Bjørn Forsman wrote:

> Why doesn't a custom configurePhase (or buildPhase, installPhase etc.)
> work when run from nix-shell? In nix-shell, all phases seem to be the
> default, even if the derivation has customized some of them.

That's because you're defining configurePhase as an environment variable, so you
need to run it as "$configurePhase" instead of "configurePhase".

FYI, stdenv's setup.sh runs a phase as follows:

  eval "${!curPhase:-$curPhase}"

I.e. it evaluates the contents of the environment variable named after the phase
if defined, and otherwise the function named after the phase.

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/