[Nix-dev] Hydra: NixOS tested job failing

aszlig aszlig at redmoonstudios.org
Sun Sep 15 20:09:55 CEST 2013

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 10:31:30PM +0200, Domen Ko??ar wrote:
> Could be that Nix 1.6 upgrade broke network, nothing else from the
> diff seems alerting

Bisected it and the commit causing this is:

https://github.com/NixOS/nix/commit/5558652709f27e8a887580b77b93c705659d7a4b

This happens in conjuction with fetchurl and having preferLocalBuild set
to true. Unfortunately, this is needed for fetching the source tarball
of "hello" from the "webserver" node of the installer tests.

Judging from the commit message it seems that this is targetted at
trivial builders such as writeText and I guess the commit was done
without noticing that fetchurl has set preferLocalBuild. Obviously, if
we remove the attribute, this will cause issues if a newer version of
nix is used with older nixpkgs.

So, IMO we have these options:

 - Revert 5558652709f27e8a887580b77b93c705659d7a4b from nix.
 - Revert aded38809bf956d46ad4bb5f6baf4db5cd7e23b0 from nixpkgs.
 - Change the installer tests to substitute the full derivation of
   "hello" instead of just the src attribute.
 - An additional attribute for trivial builders (like "dontSubstitute")
   that can be introduced in a backwards-compatible way.

I personally would go for either 1 (for a quick fix) and in the long
term 4, but I'm not sure about any implications with that and what
exactly should be the desired behaviour here.

a!
--
aszlig