[Nix-dev] how to debug the binary cache

Gergely Risko gergely at risko.hu
Fri Sep 13 13:11:15 CEST 2013

Hi,

> - Channel is only updated after the "unstable" job builds successfully
> (depends on some jobs deemed essential). Maybe that's the only time
> when the binary cache is also updated.

Thanks for the info!

If I understand it correctly, the current status of hydra is the following:
  - i686-linux catched up fully,
  - x86_64-linux is very near to catch up (~30 packages left),
  - x86_64-darwin is catching up too, although a bit more slowly,
  - *-freebsd is not running at all,
  - there has been no update to the binary cache since 3-4 days now,
    none of the builds ever finish (because of freebsd).

Would it be possible to force finish e.g. 994004 (nixpkgs githash of
45b8a1b) once *linux and *darwin is done?

I'm sure that there are freebsd users out there, but they are not helped
by hydra currently anyway.  And it would be nice to get the new stuff
for the most common platforms sometime soon.

Usually, I wouldn't care about building some packages myself, but now a
lot of things coincided:
  - x updates,
  - a lot of haskell updates that I'd like to use,
  - 1-2 weeks of other updates without hydra uploading to the binary cache.

This results in building really a lot of stuff from source with a new
nixpkgs checkout, which is slooooow and sometimes impossible on
non-nixos linux because of some impurities...

Gergely