[Nix-dev] bash-completion breaks X session startup

Pablo Costa modulistic at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 12:05:49 CEST 2013

Hello there!

My graphical login from 'slim' is failing consistently, with the messages
below on my ~/.xsession-errors

I noticed this a few weeks ago, but it seemed to happen only on second and
subsequent logins, and I linked it on my mind with a reported issue with
slim.

I happened to have environment.enableBashCompletion = true on my
/etc/nixos/configuration.nix and commenting it out (defaults to false)
solves the issue.

I don't use any fancy session handler, but I call the window manager and
such from my ~/.xsession

Also I had a peek on the 'offending' file, but my knowledge is not enough
to figure out the problem:

/nix/store/n9yvgrp6i1fh3jzpbw1cyfvdil0n9j1r-systemd-203/share/bash-completion/completions/journalctl

This is the contents of ~/.xsession-errors after the failed login:

/run/current-system/sw/share/bash-completion/completions/journalctl: line
80: syntax error near unexpected token `<'
/run/current-system/sw/share/bash-completion/completions/journalctl: line
80: `                mapfile -t field_vals < <(journalctl -F "${prev%=}"
2>/dev/null)'
/nix/store/77x98szy10bflysvlxb25mpldsvmjjhd-xsession failed with error code
2.

Thanks for your attention!
Cheers,
pablo