[Nix-dev] Libreoffice update to 4.0.5.2

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Sun Sep 1 19:11:55 CEST 2013

On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 7:04 PM, Domen Kožar <domen at dev.si> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 6:59 PM, Mathijs Kwik <mathijs at bluescreen303.nl>
> wrote:
>>
>> Domen Kožar <domen at dev.si> writes:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I've updated libreoffice to latest stable (released few days ago).
>>
>> Thanks for this!
>> libreoffice probably isn't the easiest package to maintain :)
>

> Don't mention all the fun :)
>

>> > There are two caveats though:
>> >
>> > - Due to help being translated to so many packages total size when
>> > unpacked
>> > is 2.1G (help is 1.4G). Any objections for making help optional?
>>
>> Do we keep English help?
>> And an option to install all others?
>> I don't think we need more fine grained selections.
>>
>> This might be a nice target for multiple-outputs though.
>> That way, the core (with english help) is shared, meaning people who
>> select the all-languages option won't need to build everything from
>> scratch if hydra provides both outputs.
>

> We could build only English help for now and have that as parameter. When
> multiple-outputs branch is merged, we can make the next step :)

That branch is for splitting huge parts of the stdenv and other big packages.
The multiple-outputs nix functionality itself has been available for
some time and is already being used by some packages (including mesa).
So no need to wait for multiple-outputs to merge.

>> > - libreoffice has quite some external dependencies and the way we build
>> > them now is messy (we just fetch all of them inside and run make), there
>> > is
>> > space for improvements
>> >
>> > Domen
>>
>> And just curious...
>> Why upgrade to 4.0, while 4.1 is out?
>> I would expect skipping a version would save some work, but maybe going
>> step-by-step it's easier to follow dependency/build-system changes.
>

> 4.1 is still considered somewhat not final (from libreoffice.org: This
> version of LibreOffice is prepared with care and presented with pride by the
> LibreOffice community. PLEASE NOTE that, since this is the very second
> version in the series, make sure to read the release notes (under "Handy
> resources").).
>
> I'd stick to using stable releases, but we could have a "libreoffice_latest"
> expression in nixpkgs for testing.

Only if that doesn't take twice your time.
Honestly, I never missed anything using 3.6, it's not that office
tools are on an invention-spree :P