[Nix-dev] bup - test suite

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Sep 1 15:00:17 CEST 2013

Excerpts from Mathijs Kwik's message of Sun Sep 01 14:51:09 +0200 2013:
> I would like to warn you for bup though.
> I've used it for daily backups for at least half a year.
Well - I guess you should have started a new repo each month ..

> I've started over a few times, thinking it was something I messed up
> or because of version upgrades, but it happened more than once.
> Currently, I moved to using "btrfs send", which is awesome, but
> somewhat experimental too :)
Didn't knew about it.

> Anyway, at least when it fails, it reports about it :)
> supports deleting old revisions
I've added this as warning. If you think you should have a new full
backup each month anyway, then it does not matter that much.

So what do you do now?
btrfs send on the machine, and btrfs receive on the backup machine?

> and does not have a separate on-disk format like bup (which
> effectlively doubles space requirements if you want your bup history
> available on the same machine as your live data).
I compared a use case (500 MB with many git repos) and it was not that
bad - eg compared tar j or storebackup - but fastest (initial and
incremental backup). The initial backup was 4 times faster.

It could be a little risk trusting btrfs as main fs and as backup fs :)
If you get a kernel which is bad it could destroy both ..

> https://github.com/bluescreen303/bluenix/blob/master/pkgs/kernel/btrfs-updates-against-3.10.7.patch
> , which is just a plain "git diff" patch comparing mainline with
> linux-btrfs.

If nobody is heavily depending on it - then the build failure is not
that bad. So I'll just wait. bup is closer to a release anyway.

I was a little bit surprised that it says "You can fuse the backup" -
but only got 000000/0ef234e like files ..

Marc Weber