[Nix-dev] bind root hints

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Fri Oct 18 10:33:14 CEST 2013

Hi Tim,

 > I have modified the bind package to add a rootHints option. This
 > currently uses the pkgs.fetchurl to fetch the root hints file, which
 > is not the right approach, because fetchurl needs a checksum
 > provided, and the root hints file changes occasionally (without any
 > version number).

personally, I think it's okay to use fetchurl because it guarantees that
we notice updates in the cache file. The named.cache file does contain a
version number (i.e. a date stamp), so can reliably detect that a change
checksum change was caused by an upstream update.

 > For backwards compatibility, I have the rootHints option defaulting
 > to false, but one could reasonably argue that it should default to
 > true.

Yes, the file should probably be used by default. I don't see much a
downside.

Take care,
Peter