[Nix-dev] Customizing packages via overrideDerivation

Andrey Rogozhin arogozhin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 20:30:01 CEST 2013

Hi!

I am trying to use an updated version of The Sleuth Kit and to achieve that
I've put the following lines in the /etc/nixos/configuration.nix (and
extracted the updated source of the package to /root/sleuthkit-4.1.2
directory):

environment.systemPackages =
     [ ( pkgs.lib.overrideDerivation pkgs.sleuthkit (attrs: {
         name = "sleuthkit-4.1.2";
         src = "/root/sleuthkit-4.1.2";
       }))
     ];

The build succeeds but instead of custom 4.1.2 I get stock 3.2.2 version of
the package installed.

Can anyone help with pointing out what I need to check to make this
overrideDerivation construct working? It is used verbatim from the basic
example from the NixOS Manual, but is not working for some reason. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Andrey Rogozhin