[Nix-dev] Dashes in haskell-packages

Oliver Charles ollie at ocharles.org.uk
Tue Oct 8 11:48:24 CEST 2013

On 10/08/2013 10:37 AM, Pascal Wittmann wrote:> On 10/08/2013 11:24 AM,
Daniel Hlynskyi wrote:
>> Hello. There is a convention to convert haskell packages names to
camelCase
>> when they contain dashes. But Nix now can dashes.
>> So what convention should I use when submitting new haskell packages to
>> `nixpkgs`?
>
> The nixpkgs manual says:
>
> "Dashes in the package name should be changed to underscores in variable
> names, rather than to camel case — e.g., module_init_tools instead of
> moduleInitTools."
> 	http://nixos.org/nixpkgs/manual/#idp365984

That might be the case for nixpkgs in general, but it's not the case for
Haskell packaging.

Daniel, I would suggest carrying on with camelCase for Haskell packages
for consistency. If we want to use dash naming and be equivalent to
Hackage, then I think this should be done in a single commit.

- ocharles