[Nix-dev] configuring xdg-open

phreedom at yandex.ru phreedom at yandex.ru
Sat Oct 5 13:19:08 CEST 2013

On Friday, October 04, 2013 03:39:34 PM Mathijs Kwik wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running a custom i3 desktop setup with some kde base apps.
> When I click a pdf file in dolpin, kde correctly launches okular to
> view the file.
> However, using xdg-open to open the file leads to my web browser
> (conkeror) trying to download the file.
>
> I googled a bit on xdg-open and it seems I need to add some
> configuration files to ~/.local/share to configure default
> applications per mimetype.
> However this did not work. Looking at my environment, it seems XDG_*
> variables only point to system-wide or nix-controlled locations.
>
> Is this by design? How should I configure this correctly?
> PS: I'm using the new zsh stuff, which might be related.

from http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html :

"$XDG_CONFIG_HOME defines the base directory relative to which user specific
configuration files should be stored. If $XDG_CONFIG_HOME is either not set or empty, a
default equal to $HOME/.config should be used. "

"$XDG_CONFIG_DIRS defines the preference-ordered set of base directories to search for
configuration files in addition to the $XDG_CONFIG_HOME base directory. The directories in
$XDG_CONFIG_DIRS should be seperated with a colon ':'. "

and the same for XDG_DATA*

Thus nixos setup seems to be just fine and xdg is actually used by many packages such as
kde.