[Nix-dev] Wiki spam

phreedom at yandex.ru phreedom at yandex.ru
Tue Oct 1 14:59:09 CEST 2013

On Tuesday, October 01, 2013 02:52:14 PM Marc Weber wrote:
> > All these cookies and javascripts tend to break secure and efficient
> > setups :(
> Please make me understand why ?

Because both are off by default and require whitelisting, after you discover
that something is broken. This should at least print a useful error message. A
slightly tweaked registration form sounds like a much better idea though.

> My change is about adding a simple require_once 'create-user-guard.php'
> file. That can be automated. And even if not, it *does solve the problem*
> unless I get proven wrong. And if we do, we can be pretty sure that humans
> are spamming the wiki. And that would be a step towards solving the issue,
> too.
>
> > Long-term automated solutions to *prevent* spam don't exist for a
> > growing community like nixos.
>
> Don't overengineer. Don't think today about problems which may happen
> in 2 years.

I agree that a simple solution should be tried first. We'll still have a
problem with useless web interface though :/