[Nix-dev] Update Julia to today's git

Oscar Blumberg oscar.blumberg at ens.fr
Tue May 21 15:39:34 CEST 2013

>>Yes those fetchurl are my mistake and weren't used in the build anyway.
>>I've however made it to use_system_mpfr and removed the useless fetchs
>>(including the pcre source one which doesn't seem used).
>>To do so I had to bump the mpfr version to 3.1.2.
>>Patch attached. I'll be sure to setup a github fork soon.
>
> In trunk it is better to have two versions of MPFR, I think. GCC depends
> on MPFR, so having two versions of MPFR is acceptable, but altering the
> default MPFR version just because of Julia is a bad idea.

I realize now that not everyone may want to do the full rebuild (gcc,
coreutils, ...) I got by updating mpfr. The good way of doing this would
then be to :
- add the new mpfr .nix as 3.1.2.nix and restore the original default.nix
- in the julia expresion replace the references to mpfr by mpfr-3.1.2
The other way would be to let julia build the newer mpfr on each rebuild.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks