[Nix-dev] $out in configureFlags is not expanded

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viric at viric.name
Tue May 21 11:39:06 CEST 2013

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 11:33:26AM +0200, Peter Simons wrote:
> A change to the semantics of 'configureFlags' has significant potential
> to break existing builds. Why would we take that risk? What exactly do
> we gain?
>
> Personally, I've rarely had the need to pass $out in configureFlags, and
> if I do need that, then
>
>   preConfigure = ''configureFlags="--foo=$out/etc/foo.cfg"'';
>
> works just fine. Maybe it would be sufficient to document the current
> behavior in more detail?

Many people hit this problem, when they started using mkDerivation.

I mainly needed $out in buildFlags/installFlags, iirc.

Can you describe what breaking cases you have in mind, with that 'eval'? It's
not about configureFlagsArray, at the end. So I think that spacing will be kept
perfect even after eval.

Regards,
Lluís.