[Nix-dev] Stable NixOS releases

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viric at viric.name
Tue May 14 17:53:26 CEST 2013

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 05:44:43PM +0200, Mathijs Kwik wrote:
> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 5:33 PM, Eelco Dolstra
> <eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com> wrote:
> > On 14/05/13 14:25, Mathijs Kwik wrote:
> > But the risk with this approach is that people will be tempted to squeeze in
> > wildly destabilizing changes at the last moment :-)  I don't think this needs a
> > lot of bureaucracy or rules though, just some good sense not to (say) merge a
> > major GCC update into master just before the release is about to be branched.
>
> I think stdenv-updates is still the only right place for those.
> Same for x-updates. We should not declare master
> "anything-can-break-now" just because we have stable, so maintaining
> master somewhat the same as we do now (with feature branches for
> larger undertakings) seems best.

The NixOS success is a bit bound to the way it is developed. I wouldn't consider
that the current practices should be changed.

I'd start with those release branches without affecting how things are committed
to master / stdenv-updates. Isn't this easier?

(I didn't read the long previous comments)

Regards,
Lluís.