[Nix-dev] wiki and utf-8 characters

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Mon Mar 25 18:17:46 CET 2013

Hi,

On 19/03/13 18:03, Vladimír Čunát wrote:

> On 03/19/2013 05:15 PM, Marc Weber wrote:
>> Does anybody has more experience with utf-8 and nixos's mediawiki?
>
> Just tried, doesn't work well. It's garbled when saved, not just on display. But

Yeah, I don't know what's up with that.  The PostgreSQL database encoding is set
to UTF8, FWIW.  It sometimes seems to store UTF-8 characters correctly, but then
eat other characters:

  https://nixos.org/wiki/Test

This may be related to the corruption on this page:

  https://nixos.org/wiki/Special:Version

We should probably upgrade the MediaWiki version first and see if that helps.

> Speaking of nix wiki... there's quite a steady in-flow of **spam** articles
> (e.g. today I see certainly more than fifty new pages in its feed). It would be
> good to add some captcha for user creation and then clean up registered spammers
> and spam posts.

I've just deleted a few thousand spam user accounts and pages automatically.
(Basically I deleted all orphan pages, then all user accounts that never made
any edits.) Hopefully no actual content got caught :-)

I also disabled account creation until we have captcha or whatever.

With respect to switching to another wiki: I'm not necessarily opposed, but the
main problem with the current wiki is (IMHO) that it's a rather disorganized
mess of often poorly spelled/formatted articles.  Switching to another wiki is
not going to help anything there.

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/