[Nix-dev] Missing command suggestions

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Mon Mar 25 14:36:02 CET 2013

Hi,

NixOS now provides Ubuntu-style missing command suggestions.  I implemented this
a while ago, but now it's enabled by default as part of the NixOS channel.

So if you try to run a command that isn't installed but is available in the
NixOS channel, you get a message like:

  $ pdflatex
  The program ‘pdflatex’ is currently not installed. It is provided by
  several packages. You can install it by typing one of the following:
    nix-env -i tetex
    nix-env -i texlive-core

And if the environment variable $NIX_AUTO_INSTALL is set, the missing command is
installed and executed automatically:

  $ hello
  The program ‘hello’ is currently not installed. It is provided by
  the package ‘hello’, which I will now install for you.
  installing `hello-2.8'
  Hello, world!

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/