[Nix-dev] wiki and utf-8 characters

Joachim Schiele js at lastlog.de
Sat Mar 23 09:55:22 CET 2013

On 03/23/2013 03:08 AM, phreedom at yandex.ru wrote:
> On Пятница 22 марта 2013 13:13:51 Joachim Schiele wrote:

>>> Why is a database of that size hard to maintain using MySQL?
>>
>> i don't like mysql and php that's all. and since wiki.nixos.org is only
>> used by about ~ppl we could also use other systems which for example do
>> not have a database at all.
>>
>>> MySQL is used that much that it should have no trouble coping with such
>>> a small wiki. Eventually some care has to be taken to set fields to
>>> utf-8 collation - but the media wiki should take care of that.
>>> In the end a wiki is a key value store and a search.
>>
>> i maintain several mediawiki instances and i always had a lot of trouble
>> with updating the mysql databases using the admin script coming with new
>> mediawiki releases. and the utf8 stuff is one of such things i had to
>> fix in the past.

>>> Again - tell us why you feel that way :)
>>
>> - if we would be using something with git and mdwn we could make an
>> offline version of the wiki pretty easy and ship it with nixpkgs
>> - also offline editing would be a good thing IMHO
>
> Offline editing is very convenient. If you ever try it, you'll never want to
> come back to the regular http ways :)

yes, that is what i experience as well

> Kate(and perhaps other editors and IDEs) know popular wiki markups, so you
> don't even need to render html in many cases.
>
> What would be interesting to know is how many useful edits were done by people
> outside of the devs with commit access? How many edits were done by people who
> would have trouble submitting a merge request?

if someone wants to do serious editing ikiwiki workflow would be to:
- get repo access and commint directly
- branch the repo and then create a pull request (i've not done this
yet, but branchable.com for instance has this feature and i think it
exists for this reason)
- use the ikiwiki web editor which i think is very cool for small edits

> Either way, ikiwiki does work if you need anonymous editing via http. Also,
> migration betwen different git-based wikis is very simple compared to db-based
> ones.

i'm not sure about anonymous editing. but editing via http works pretty
well. in regards to authentication and authorization ikiwiki uses
openID, see:

  http://www.branchable.com/ikiwiki.cgi?page=index&do=edit

i used wordpress auth to create my first blog at branchable.com and it
worked pretty well.

> Making an offline version and shipping it with nixpkgs is as easy as storing the
> wiki in a nixpkgs subdir and a simple derivation can take care of building the
> static html version.

yes, that is basically what i already said IIRC