[Nix-dev] work around failed derivation build?

Christopher Howard cmhoward2 at alaska.edu
Sat Mar 23 01:24:54 CET 2013

Hi. I'm a Nix newbie. I've got nix-1.3 installed on some systems where I
don't have root access, so everything is built from derivations. I've
ran into this unpleasant situation now where, on all of my systems, the
derivation "perl-5.16.2" won't build. This is problematic because it
seems that everything I try to build ultimately depends on it.

I filed a bug report with the details
<https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/386> but no solution for about
a week now. I was wondering if, in lieu of actually figuring out the
problem, there was some way to work around it. Is it possible to use one
of the earlier versions of Perl available? If so, what would the syntax
be to make that happen (when I am installing some other package).