[Nix-dev] wiki and utf-8 characters

Cillian de Róiste cillian.deroiste at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 10:38:07 CET 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 7:05 PM, Rok Garbas <rok at garbas.si> wrote:
> Quoting Vladimír Čunát (2013-03-19 18:03:36)
>> On 03/19/2013 05:15 PM, Marc Weber wrote:
>> > Does anybody has more experience with utf-8 and nixos's mediawiki?
>>
>> Just tried, doesn't work well. It's garbled when saved, not just on
>> display. But <meta content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"
>> http-equiv="Content-Type"> looks good.
>>
>> Speaking of nix wiki... there's quite a steady in-flow of **spam**
>> articles (e.g. today I see certainly more than fifty new pages in its
>> feed). It would be good to add some captcha for user creation and then
>> clean up registered spammers and spam posts.
>>

> maybe moving to github's wiki. i really hate those textareas. also we dont need
> to worry about spam and spammers anymore.

The current installation of mediawiki is also missing a lot of the
usual features, and I can imagine it's not so much fun to maintain.
FWIW I would also be happy to contribute content to a github wiki (or
similar system). I believe it would be possible to run the github wiki
engine (gollum) on the nixos.org server, in case anyone has
reservations about being locked into github. Does anyone have any
objections or reservations about using a github wiki, or better
suggestions? Should we set one up to try it out?

Cheers,
Cillian