[Nix-dev] NixOS

James Cook james.cook at utoronto.ca
Wed Mar 20 07:14:47 CET 2013

On 17 March 2013 04:14, Bob Eiser <bob.eiser at gmail.com> wrote:
>     Hi, I tried all of the commands listed to bring up KDE and none worked!
> Am I too dumb?  I was using the newest graphical download
> http://nixos.org/releases/nixos/latest-iso-graphical-i686-linux  Bob Eiser

Hi Bob,

I have not tried KDE in a while so I can't address your specific
question.  A couple of things come to mind, though:

* Did you upgrade NixOS first?  The latest ISO might not have the
latest updates.  If you have an Internet connection working and are
following the unstable channel (info on the wiki I hope) then you can
upgrade by running "nix-channel --update", "nixos-rebuild boot" and
then restarting.

* More information would be needed to diagnose your problem.  Which
list of commands did you run, and what happened (can you copy error
messages)?  Can you get anything else working?  Does the login screen
appear, or does X11 fail to start at all?

James