[Nix-dev] Cross Compiling for Raspberry PI

Sergey Mironov ierton at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 08:08:43 CET 2013

2013/3/18 Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viric at viric.name>
> Sorry, I missed the last points of the discussion about cross-compiling for the
> pi. What's the issue?

Right, I am talking about cross-compiling, not native building. Looks
like it is not a simple task, but luckily my idea is not to build
whole NixOS in that way (as I wrote in my previous letter, sorry for
that). Actually, I'd be happy to get the following:
1) cross-toolchain (I feel I know how to build it already)
2) the kernel + bootloader (actually, do I need to build a bootloader?
can RPi boot the kernel directly?)
3) busybox
4) several other packages, preferably, a webserver
(Note, that on this stage I don't need nix-env running on a device.)

Then I'd like to develop a method to flash the SD with the binaries, I
think it could be much like preparing an iso image. And I am not
familiar with RPi's booting process. wiki says that there is a
situation with vfat.. still I hope that setting up busybox should be
possible, is it?

>> i think most updated info on RPi topic can be found here:
>> http://nixos.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

Cool, I didn't notice that, thanks! I see, the mainline solution is to
go and build natively and to setup a distcc to speedup the process. Do
we have full-featured nix-env/nix-store running on the device that
way?

Sergey