[Nix-dev] cannot start worker (unexpected end-of-file)

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 21:24:00 CET 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade a NixOS install. After a failed nixos-rebuild
some time ago I now get this error when doing "nix-channel --update":

  current Nix store schema is version 7, but I only support 6

Looking at IRC logs found a tip about finding a newer nix. I located
nix 1.5.1 in the store and called that. Now I have brand new nixexprs
but I cannot get nixos-rebuild working.

$ sudo nixos-rebuild
error: evaluation aborted with the following error message: `This
version of Nixpkgs requires Nix >= 1.2, please upgrade!'

I put nix 1.5.1 in front of PATH and tried again:

$ sudo nixos-rebuild switch
building Nix...
error: cannot start worker (unexpected end-of-file)
(use `--show-trace' to show detailed location inform

Still not working. Any tips?

The "cannot start worker" error has been reported on the ML before,
but it was not resolved. A piece of info requested was "set | grep
^NIX", so here it is:

NIXPKGS_CONFIG=/etc/nix/nixpkgs-config.nix
NIX_CONF_DIR=/etc/nix
NIX_OTHER_STORES='/var/run/nix/remote-stores/*/nix'
NIX_PATH=/nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/root/channels/nixos:nixpkgs=/etc/nixos/nixpkgs:nixos=/etc/nixos/nixos:nixos-config=/etc/nixos/configuration.nix:services=/etc/nixos/services
NIX_PROFILES='/run/current-system/sw /nix/var/nix/profiles/default
/home/bfo/.nix-profile'
NIX_REMOTE=daemon
NIX_USER_PROFILE_DIR=/nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/bfo

Best regards,
Bjørn Forsman