[Nix-dev] nix-env and nixos-rebuild cannot start workers

Bryce L Nordgren bnordgren at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 00:54:05 CET 2013

I just tried to update a six month old nixos distribution and ran into a
wall. At one point in time, I was getting parse errors. Then I did a
nix-env -i nix to get a new version of the package manager. Now it seems
that no matter what I do, some file somewhere causes a "error: cannot start
worker (unexpected end-of-file)". This is not limited to my git clones of
nixpkgs and nixos. When I tried to remove nix from my environment, I get:

[bnordgren at nixos-boot:~/nixappliance2/nixos]$ nix-env -vvvv -e nix
setting initial heap size to 402653184 bytes
adding path `/home/bnordgren/nixappliance2/nixos' to the search path
adding path `/home/bnordgren/nixappliance2/nixpkgs' to the search path
adding path `/home/bnordgren/nixappliance2/configuration.nix' to the search
path
adding path
`/nix/store/nzgli8m8jbmxmgixg2ng5nam837d3fkj-nix-1.5.1/share/nix/corepkgs'
to the search path
evaluating file
`/nix/var/nix/profiles/per-user/bnordgren/profile/manifest.nix'
evaluating list element
evaluating list element
evaluating list element
evaluating list element
evaluating list element
evaluating list element
evaluating list element
evaluating list element
evaluating list element
evaluating list element
evaluating list element
evaluating list element
evaluating list element
evaluating list element
uninstalling `nix-1.5.1'
building user environment dependencies
error: cannot start worker (unexpected end-of-file)

It seems I am completely stuck and may be looking at a fresh re-install to
dig my way out of this...Any thoughts?