[Nix-dev] cross toolchain howto request

Sergey Mironov ierton at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 10:55:58 CET 2013

Hello! I'd like to build cross toolchains for several archs
(arm-none-elf, x86-none-elf plus some others). I need only compilers
since my goal is to try to build some embedded kernels, so as far as I
know I don't need to cross-build coreutils or other user-space stuff.
Also, I don't need any linux headers. Is there any nixos expression to
help me? For example, xbursttools uses pkgsCross.gccCrossStageStatic
built for mipsel. But if I understand the expression correctly, it
actually builds whole cross-system with linux-kernel and headers and
then picks up the gcc. Is there a simpler solution?

Sergey

By the way, what is the difference between static and non-static cross  gcc?