[Nix-dev] RealVNC package -- hardcoded paths in binaries

Michael Ashton data at gtf.org
Mon Jul 29 19:33:00 CEST 2013

Hello all,

I'm working on an expression for RealVNC (on GitHub here [1]). This is a
binary-only, closed-source commercial VNC distribution. And, of course, it
has lots of hardcoded paths.

So far I can get the binaries to execute, thanks to patchelf, but the
server still fails because it can't find a number of things at various
places in the filesystem, like /etc/vnc, /usr/X11R6/lib, /usr/share/vnc,
and so forth.

I'm wondering what would be the right way to deal with this. At the moment
I can only think of two possibilities: patching the binaries somehow, or
running everything in a chroot. The former seems a little too crazy and/or
impossible, so I'm thinking of trying to run everything in chroot, although
I think that will also not be at all easy. But maybe there's a better or
more correct way?

This seems somewhat similar to the situation with Steam discussed on the
wiki. But on that page it says that nobody's tried the chroot route yet,
and that makes me a little nervous.

--Michael

[1] https://github.com/mpashton/nixpkgs